From Genevieve Taylor’s Foolproof BBQ
Fish is notoriously tricky on the grill. It sticks or falls apart, and sometimes it does both! Our kebab rack comes in handy for this salmon kebab bbq recipe, keeping the salmon together and raised just above the grill so that it cooks without sticking. Find more reasons and recipes to fire up your fire pit in Gen’s Foolproof BBQ.
500-600g skinless salmon fillets
2 medium courgettes
2 tbsp olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the herby yoghurt sauce:
250g Greek yoghurt
A good handful of mixed fresh herbs (parsley, coriander, chive), chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
boiled new potatoes, green salad and sliced avocado
1. Cut the salmon into 2-3cm cubes. Use a vegetable peeler to slice the courgettes into thin ribbons. Cut the lemon into quarters and then slice each quarter into 2-3mm slices.
2. To a skewer and thread a piece of salmon onto it, then fold up a ribbon of courgette and thread that on, followed by a piece of lemon. Repeat until you have used all the skewers and remaining salmon, courgettes and lemon slices. Drizzle over the olive oil, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
3. For the sauce, mix the ingredients thoroughly in a bowl, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Lay the kebabs either onto the grill or on the kebab rack directly over the fire and cook for a couple of minutes on each side, or until the fish is just cooked through. Using a mental spatula to help turn will help you ease off any areas which are a bit stuck if grilling directly.
5. Serve hot from the grill with potatoes, salad and yoghurt sauce alongside.